Jason is a Research Associate in the Intelligent Interactive Systems group. Jason's research is focused on both the micro- and macro-impacts of digital technology on people and society, with extensive background in many areas of human-computer interaction. Research topics include economics, crowdsourcing, software development, ubiquitous computing, and interface design; including a focus on human-factors, engineering design, user behaviour, and digital markets at internet-scale, particularly as they extend and shape broader policy. His current work involves the investigation and application of mobile crowdsourcing.
Jason is a member of the Centre for Science and Policy (CSaP) network, and is interested in not only the application of emerging technologies but their impact on wider society. Jason undertook the first two years of his PhD study at the University of St Andrews, as a member of the SACHI research group. He completed his PhD at the University of Cambridge, supervised by Dr Per Ola Kristensson.
This list includes publications authored by Jason.
- Jacques, J.T. 2020. CHI 2020: Right Here, Right Now? A bottom-up approach to estimating the carbon emissions from more than twenty years of CHI conference travel. In CHI Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems Proceedings (CHI 2020; alt.chi). ACM Press: Paper ALT01. PDF Publisher Website
- Jacques, J.T. 2020. Labor Migration in the Digital Economy. In Worker-Centered Design: Expanding HCI Methods for Supporting Labor at CHI'20 (CHI 2020; workshop). PDF Workshop
- Jacques, J.T. and Kristensson, P.O. 2019. Crowdworker Economics in the Gig Economy. In CHI Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems Proceedings (CHI 2019). ACM Press: Paper 391. PDF Publisher Website
- Dudley, J.J., Jacques, J.T. and Kristensson, P.O. 2019. Crowdsourcing Interface Feature Design with Bayesian Optimization. In CHI Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems Proceedings (CHI 2019). ACM Press: Paper 252. PDF Publisher Data
- Jacques, J.T. 2018. Microtask Design: Value, Engagement, Context, and Complexity. PhD Thesis. University of Cambridge. PDF Publisher
- Jacques, J.T. and Kristensson, P.O. 2017. Design Strategies for Efficient Access to Mobile Device Users via Amazon Mechanical Turk. In Proceedings of First ACM Workshop on Mobile Crowdsensing Systems and Applications (CrowdSenSys 2017). ACM Press: 26-31. PDF Publisher Data
- Hirth, M., Jacques, J.T., Rodgers, P., Scekic, O. and Wybrow, M. 2017 Crowdsourcing Technology to Support Academic Research. In Archambault D., Purchase H., Hoßfeld T. (eds) Evaluation in the Crowd. Crowdsourcing and Human-Centered Experiments. Lecture Notes in Computer Science, vol 10264. Springer: 70-95. PDF Publisher Book
- Jacques, J.T. and Kristensson, P.O. 2015. Understanding the effects of code presentation. In Proceedings of the 6th Workshop on Evaluation and Usability of Programming Languages and Tools (PLATEAU 2015). ACM Press: 27-30. PDF Publisher Poster
- Jacques, J.T., Perry, M. and Kristensson, P.O. 2015. Differentiation of online text-based advertising and the effect on users' click behavior. Computers in Human Behavior 50: 535-543. PDF Publisher Data
- Jacques, J.T. and Kristensson, P.O. 2013. Crowdsourcing a HIT: measuring workers' pre-task interactions on microtask markets. In Proceedings of the 1st AAAI Conference on Human Computation and Crowdsourcing (HCOMP 2013). AAAI Press: 86-93. PDF Publisher Website
This list includes awards and recognition received by Jason.
- Best of CHI 2019 - Crowdworker Economics in the Gig Economy Co-sponsored by ACM SIGCHI Asian Development Committee and HCI Professionals Association of India on 6th of July, 2019 at IIT Bombay, Mumbai. Recognising 20 of the most interesting papers from CHI 2019. Work YouTubeWebsite
- Gordon & Emily Bottomley Fund Financial award for travel to Dagstuhl Seminar 15481, supporting training, networking, and career development. Award resulted in a collaboration and published chapter in Crowdsourcing and Human-Centered Experiments.
- Blackwell Publishing Prize Financial award for best written thesis sponsored by Blackwell Publishing.
These lists includes work done by Jason in support of teaching and education.
- Parallel Programming (4F14) Lecturer and assessor for multithreaded programming using the C++11/14/17 memory model and threading libraries. Website
- 5th Summer School on Computational Interaction Lecturer on machine learning and probabilistic decoding. Website
- 4th ACM Summer School on Computational Interaction Lecturer and organiser. Hackathon, closing session, and review of group projects. Website
- 1st Cambridge-Tongji Workshop on Enginering Design Course leader for sessions on both Crowdsourcing in HCI and Systems Architecture.
- CS2003 Slide preparation and demonstration code for introductory classes on web development. Demo Slides (Part 1) Slides (Part 2)
- Engineering Design Group leader for paper reading and review sessions with new PhD students and other interested individuals. Website
- CS5040 Marking student presentations on a variety of research topics.
These lists includes work done by Jason in support of the academic community.
- 4th ACM Summer School on Computational Interaction Local organiser responsible all local organisational cocnerns including facilities, catering, housing, and recreation for visiting lecturers and attendees. Website
- 1st Cambridge-Tongji Workshop on Enginering Design Local organiser responsible all local organisational cocnerns including facilities, catering, lecturers and attendees.
- UIST & ITS 2013 Design and layout for conference materials including the conference programme. Programme
- CHI 2020
Double blind, and open reviews:
- UIST 2019
- CHI 2019
- Computers in Human Behavior
- International Journal of Human Computer Studies
- MobileHCI 2017
- UIST 2017
- CHI 2016
- CHI 2015
- IUI 2015
- IUI 2013