With a wide array of practical business experience, with tech titans such as Google and Apple and with small- and medium-sized enterprises, Jason works well in a variety of roles.
Jason's expertise is trusted by some of the biggest names in the technology business and is also available on a consultancy basis through his consultancy business.
- Research Associate @ University of Cambridge Dec '16 – Present Research Associate in the Intelligent Interactive Systems group, lead by Dr Per Ola Kristensson. Areas of interest include a wide variety of research topics including crowdsourcing, software development, ubiquitous computing, interface design. Current work involves the investigation and application of mobile crowdsourcing, user interface optimisation, machine learning, the application of virtual and augmented reality, and the broader impacts of computer and digital technologies on individuals, organisations, and the wider world.
Corporate Operations Engineer @ Google
Feb '11 – Sep '11
Technical operations role including both development and infrastructure support:
- Development of security fix for well known FireWire exploit on Mac OS X, deployed on all Google Macs.
- Printer driver standardisation for Mac OS X.
- Support for Mac OS X, Windows XP/7 and Ubuntu Linux including remote support.
IS&T Desktop Services @ Apple
Jun '10 – Nov '10
Systems architecture, development and second-line and event support including:
- Server side system architect for corporate integration of wireless printing solution (AirPrint) for Europe.
- Development of internal tools for monitoring of servers, employee performance, backup and others.
- Support of both servers and clients in a near 100% Mac environment including remote and phone support.
- Event support for Apple TV re-launch.
Developer & Technical Services @ JPMH
Jan '08 – Jul '09
Flexible technical consultation roll providing comprehensive services in an integrated advertising and marketing agency. Network improvements including roll out of corporate WiFi, internal development, DNS simplification, transparent network renumbering and VPN introduction. Support for a mix of Windows and Mac OS X systems, both client and server, on-site and remote, including telephone support. Client facing support for web services and media projects and onsite support for visitors. Work on websites for many high-profile brands including:
- BlackBerry – site maintenance & multi-media experience
- KFC – advertising system & CRM integration
- Slendertone – e-commerce build & logistics integration
- Cocopia (Tesco) – AJAX store locator
- Nestlé Purina (inc. Aero, Felix, Bakers) – site maintenance
- Young engineers – SQL injection-repair and -proofing
- Freelance Development & Consultancy Sep ’07 – Jan ’08 Various freelance projects including network architecture, integration with AOL CMS and development of prototypes.
Developer @ Mirola & Rancon
Oct '06 – Aug '07
Web development and communication network development and support (inc. telephone). Other experience included:
- Development and maintenance of SendandGive.org, an eCard, virtual gift and donation platform, for Cancer Research UK using the .NET platform. Applied extensive knowledge of email infrastructure to allow high throughput emails to be delivered with over 95% inbox delivery rate (in contrast with junk mail folder).
- Lead Developer for investment-demo of a bespoke audio manipulation system operated via telephone including a custom designed cross platform execution system.
PhD in Engineering @ University of Cambridge
2014 – 2018
(Formerly, PhD in Human Computer Interaction @ University of St Andrews)
Microtask Design: Value, Engagement, Context, and Complexity
Work concerning the emergent digital labour force. Topics include improving understanding of financial motivations, aesthetic and practical considerations, improving the user experience, and expanding the potential uses of such platforms. All assessed using new, novel, and improved telemetry and robust metrics and statistical analysis. For further information, including publications, please see the Science page.
- BSc (Hons) Information Systems @ Brunel University 2008 – 2012 First class award. Included "Constructions of Programs", "Business Computing", "Professional Software Practice", "Database Systems", "e-Commerce" and many others. Majority at A grade, all B or higher.
- Opensource software development including MTurk Manage (Amazon Mechanical Turk task management tool), Email (cross-platform email engine for PHP), and minor contribution to GNU and other opensource projects.
- Featured code contribution to the MSDN blog for Small Basic promoting computer science education.
- Accepted as a candidate for the CERN Technical Student Programme.
- Track record of peer-reviewed scientific publication.
Jason's CV is available in both Microsoft Word and PDF formats.